Sunday, January 7, 2007

Tayra, The Baddest Critter Around

Attitude! You haven't seen attitude until you have seen a Tayra. I really believe a Tayra would take on anything. Mike McKoy once saw a Tayra take on a White-faced Capuchin Monkey, kill it and eat it. The monkey was quite a bit bigger than the Tayra.
There is a trail in Sarapiqui that I like to hike. Often I would find porcupine quills stuck in the bark of of trees on this trail. It was as if some animal had slammed the porcupine into the tree sticking it to the tree so that the poor creature could be eaten in safety. Could that be?
A Tayra lived on that same trail. I would stand in a certain spot and clack my teeth together through cupped hands. This almost always brought out the Tayra and always had a chalenging look as if it were looking for a fight. I really think the Tayra was killing and eating the porcupines.


PHOTO BY JERE MCKINNEY
I once took my kids to the San Diego Zoo. They had a Tayra exhibit but the Tayras were in the back of the exhibit where they couldn't be seen. I was really disappointed and so I clacked my teeth together and out they came again as if they were looking for a fight.

1 comment:

Diane said...

So that's what I saw by the volcano arenal... He came by the window and stole a banana, he was so close to me, I even got some pictures... I've been looking for the animal's name, so thanks for the info.

Diane